INTROSCRATCH: INTRODUCTION TO PROGRAMMING AND COMPUTATIONAL THINKING IN THE TRAINING OF ELEMENTARY EDUCATION TEACHERS
2021 - 2022
Nowadays, many educational programs focus on STEM literacy (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) and make computer programming and thinking a priority for education (Manches & Plowma, 2017). Computer science education in general, and in programming in particular in the early years of schooling, allows for the potential of learning at an early age, especially if it takes place before some of the gender stereotypes associated with STEM vocations begin to influence on their decisions (Manches & Plowma, 2017). In addition, Cunha & Heckman (2007) showed that early childhood computer science interventions are related to lower costs and more lasting effects than later educational interventions. To this end, we want to introduce in the classes of the Degree of Early Childhood Education the use of programming through Digital Technologies (TD) as a learning strategy, so that future teachers acquire the necessary skills to use programming as learning tool and in addition, they can observe its full potential to create and evaluate educational material adapted to the real needs of the educational context.
|Cristina Valls Bautista||Universitat Rovira i Virgili|
|Anna Borrull Riera||Universitat Rovira i Virgili|
|Vanessa Esteve González||Universitat Rovira i Virgili|
|Despoina Schina||Universitat Rovira i Virgili|
|Mireia Usart Rodríguez||Universitat Rovira i Virgili|
|Juan Francisco Álvarez Herrero||Universitat d'Alacant|
GO: Incorporate programming into early childhood education teacher training through the ScratchJr program.
• SO1: Publicize the potential of early childhood education programming.
• SO2: Design and evaluate educational materials created by future early childhood teachers to develop computational thinking.
• SO3: Apply the materials designed in the real classroom context.
• SO4: Evaluate what contribution they have had in the children's learning process in terms of motivation and learning.
The intervention will be framed within the subject of Teaching and Learning of Cience, Mathematical and Social sciences III of the 4th year of the Early Childhood Education degree that is taught at the URV on the Sescelades Campus and in the Seu Baix Penedès as well as in the subject of Digital Classrooms in Early Childhood education of the degree of Early Childhood Education taught at the University of Alicante. A part of the course will be dedicated to making the educational potential of programming known to future teachers of the infant degree, applied in the field of experimental sciences.
As for future teachers, in the teaching guide of the subject, in which this project is framed, it is specified that students must develop the topics of "discovery of the environment" and "learning of didactic aspects for the discovery of the environment ”.
- Valls-Bautista, C., Borrull-Riera, A., Esteve-González, V., y Schina, D. (10-16 de junio de 2021). INTROSCRATCH: Diseño e implementación de una propuesta didáctica para introducir la programación en la formación de maestros de educación infantil. [Presentación oral]. IV Workshop Internacional de Innovación en Enseñanza Superior y TIC. (INNOVAESTIC 2021). Universitat d’Alacant (UA), País Valencià.
- Esteve-González, V., Valls Bautista, C. & Álvarez-Herrero, J.F. (2022). Validación de una rúbrica basada en el TPACK para evaluar propuestas didácticas centradas en los ODS mediante ScratchJr. En Esteve J. M., Fernández-Sogorb A., Martinez-Roig R. & Álvarez-Herrero J. F. Transformando la educación a través del conocimiento, (pp. 334 - 344). Octaedro. https://bit.ly/3EdN6aF
- Esteve-Gónzalez, V.; Borrull, A. & Valls, C. (2023). fomentar las habilidades de programación y pensamiento computacional: una acción formativa para futuros docentes de educación infantil. Campus Virtuales, 12(2), 57-68. https://doi.org/10.54988/cv.2023.2.1187